Monday, January 27, 2014

My first time with knit fabric

Received my little pack of sewing stuff and fabric from Japan a while back. Happy happy as can be!


It's been super hard to find cute knit fabric in Malaysia, so was looking forward to get these knit fabric for the little one (If you do know of a place, please tell me and I'd forever be grateful >.<). Couldn't personally choose the fabric patterns but I asked for boyish designs from my relative who was coming back from Japan, just so I could make something for Aidi.

I was expecting a thinner type of knit, more t-shirt like, but I love the designs nonetheless. Was informed that they had cute girly designs but I still don't have a little girl to splurge my money on and part of the fun is making stuff for my baby. To be on the safe side, I only bought 1 meter of each design and my first knit project was a simple 'shorts' project.



My first impression of knit? The heavier weight of the fabric made serging (jahit tepi) easy. Yet, when the edges rolled up, I came to realise why the shape of the footer was in the shape of an L. To unravel the rolled edge causing it to travel flat under the needle.


I don't know about you but I found it much easier to serge twice. The first stitches helped bind the fabric thus no more edge rolls on the second round. Made this in about 15 minutes! Inserted the elastic band for the waist and my boy now has his own knit shorts. Ta daa! 




Hubby came home and was jealous of the little pumpkin's shorts and demanded one for him too. Well, will have to see what I can whip up next with the fabric I have left.

post signature

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Subscribe to my mailing list

To receive free printables, sewing ideas and daily updates sign up for my newsletter by entering your email address below. Thanks!




 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS